The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) is now accepting applications for the 2013-14 grant programs for School Resource Officers/School Police Officers and for School Safety Initiatives, according to Senator Tommy Tomlinson (R-Bucks).
The grants are parts of the $8.5 million Safe School Grant Program authorized by Act 70, which Senator Tomlinson strongly supported. Applications and full guidelines for both grant programs are available online on the PDE Website.
School Resource Officer/School Police Officer Competitive Grant
- Applications accepted until Nov. 22, 2013.
- Maximum individual grant will be $60,000 for a School Resource Officer and $40,000 for a School Police Officer.
- Priority will be given to those school entities and municipalities that use school resource officers or school police officers who have completed additional training recommended by PDE related to interaction with all children and adolescents within a school setting.
The Safe School Initiative Competitive Grant
- Applications accepted until Dec. 6, 2013.
- Maximum individual grant will be $25,000.
This grant can be used to fund programs which address school violence, such as comprehensive district-wide school safety initiatives, for the purchase of security-related technology, for institution of student, staff and visitor identification systems and numerous other safety initiatives.